Sr Electrical Engineering Technician (Automation)
Applied LifeSciences & Systems is a start-up bio-systems company focused on improving animal health and productivity in the poultry, livestock and aquaculture industries. The ALS-S system merges advance imaging systems, machine learning, microfluidics and automation to provide high-throughput system solutions to aforementioned industries.
The position of Sr Electrical Engineering Technician will provide knowledge and support across New Product Development (NPD) initiatives for bio-devices including prototype development, test and validation, design for manufacturing and potential impact of design decisions to the hatchery or the product . The position will design and oversee tests and test fixtures to determine product specifications, develop device test protocols, troubleshoot software, controls and electro-mechanical related problems, provide design feedback, and prepare devices and sub-systems for value assessment, product introduction, field application and commercialization. This position supports NPD initiatives through a matrix organization in addition to managing external resources and suppliers to accelerate NPD initiatives.
- Support the construction of electrical control panels and subsystems.
- Design & build specialized tests to determine product specifications for bio-mechanical and fluid processes in the lab and field environments to assess design and function of prototypes and sub-systems.
- Provide detailed project timelines, budgetary estimates and coordinate support resources as required to support testing of NPD designs, prototypes and technologies.
- Develop and maintain central document depository of accumulated test plans, procedures, results, and accumulated data that supports commercial bio-mechanical device operation and function in compliance with ISO Quality System requirements.
- Participate in problem solving and troubleshooting mechanical, electrical and pneumatic aspects of engineering prototypes and sub-systems.
- Integrate new technology, techniques, and concepts to enhance functionality, simplify designs, improve reliability, and reduce production costs.
- Work with Manufacturing Engineering and Contract Manufacturers to plan and execute Design for Manufacturability and Design for Testability activities while maintaining biological integrity.
- Work with project team members to identify and mitigate development risks and produce development plans.
- Participate in product risk analysis activities.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- A.A.S. in an engineering discipline plus 20 years of experience or BS degree in an engineering discipline plus 10 years of experience. Previous experience with Automated Bio-Medical equipment/instrumentation is preferred.
- Knowledge of Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) including interpreting logic diagrams and wiring of input/output analog and digital signals. PLC programming capability is desirable.
- Demonstrated experience in the construction of electrical control panels based on electrical drawings and specifications.
- Demonstrated ability to generate CAD electrical control diagrams from functional specifications.
- Demonstrated experience in assembly and test of electro-mechanical, pneumatic and fluid measurement/ dispensing systems /subsystems.
- Knowledge of mechanical fabrication techniques and process, including Metal/Plastic Molding, Welding, and Machining for a variety of materials is desirable.
- Knowledge of robotics/automated systems, motion control/stepper servo systems, Laboratory/Medical/Bio-Medical equipment/instrumentation and applicable standards is desirable
- Demonstrated experience in design validation and process validation.
- Demonstrated problem solving experience is required.
- Experience with Engineering Change Management processes
- Demonstrated design and implementation experience utilizing a wide range of mechanical fabrication techniques and process, including Metal/Plastic Molding, Welding, Material Forming, Machining and Casting for variety of materials.
- Hands-On knowledge of 2D CAD software. 3D CAD is desirable.
- Working knowledge of robotics/automated systems, motion control/stepper servo systems, machine vision systems, Laboratory/Medical/Bio-Medical equipment/instrumentation and applicable standards is highly desirable.
- Experience in tolerance analysis of assemblies and detailed parts
- Broad engineering knowledge in manufacturing operations, including new product introduction, cost reduction, and quality improvements. Experience in automated device industry is required.
- Experience with Engineering Change Management processes desired.
- Experience retrieving, interpreting and communicating field data is a plus.
- Ability to concurrently handle multiple project assignments.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills are required.
- Team player, who can help the team to think out of the box.
- Flexible and Adaptive; able to explore many ideas simultaneously.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage time effectively.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite including Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
Working Conditions: Office, Lab, MFG floor, 2-4 trips per quarter to visit suppliers, attend meetings, customer sites.
Disclaimer: May perform other duties as assigned.
Those authorized to work in the United States are encouraged to apply by emailing a copy of their resume to HR@als-s.com. Sorry, but we cannot sponsor Visa’s at this time.