Director of Engineering (Automated Systems)
Applied LifeSciences & Systems is a Start-Up bio-systems company focused on improving animal health and productivity in the poultry, livestock and aquaculture industries. The ALS-S system merges advance imaging systems, computer learning, microfluidics and automation to provide high-throughput system solutions to aforementioned industries. View our Company Page at www.als-s.com to learn more about us! This position is located in Raleigh, NC – relocation is not offered for applicants located elsewhere.
Summary of Role & Opportunity:
Director of Engineering holds a key position in the design and advancement of New Product Development (NPD) initiatives. This vacancy is to be filled with a highly creative, seasoned, hands-on Engineering Leader, who will lead/participate in NPD programs for new applied bio-mechanical technology and devices from conceptualization to development and commercialization. Responsibilities will include idea generation, research, evaluation, product design, feasibility analysis, value assessment, product introduction, and field application testing. This position leads development initiatives internally through a matrix organization, in addition to managing external consulting and collaborating with university researchers to accelerate NPD initiatives.
This position reports directly to the CEO.
Knowledge and Responsibilities:
- Directs the engineering design team from conception to completion of engineering projects.
- Manages schedules, develops timelines and resource allocation for engineering design of projects, and tracks deliverables for projects to achieve projected completion dates.
- Provides technical direction and oversight for all aspects related to mechanical, electrical, optical and vision engineering design for bio-devices and systems, by applying a broad multi-disciplinary knowledge across multiple fields of engineering and applied sciences (heat transfer, thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, pneumatic and drive systems, electrical and controls systems, vision systems, HMI, material science and mechanics across system and process design).
- Coordinates proposed equipment system changes with design reviews, multi-disciplinary teams and product management.
- Manages and leads improvements of full documentation for all engineering efforts to support business needs in coordination with TBD MRP system.
- Ensures standardization of documentation systems and compliance of standards by all design engineers.
- Responsible party for safety compliance.
- Conceptualizes, invents, designs, and develops automated mechanisms for bio-devices and medium to large size automated bio-systems by creating robust, reliable designs with complex electromechanical, electro-pneumatic, user interface, and fault tolerance requirements.
- Assures full compliance with ISO Quality System requirements for all developments and documentations.
- Integrates new technology, techniques, and concepts to enhance functionality, simplify designs, improve reliability, and reduce production costs.
- Works with Manufacturing Engineering and Contract Manufacturers to plan and execute Design for Manufacturability and Design for Testability activities
- Works with bio-process development team members to identify and mitigate development risks and produce development plans.
- Leads product risk analysis activities.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- MSME or equiv. preferred with a minimum of 15 years of hands-on design engineering experience, 10 years of leadership role and project management experience and 5 years of experience in a lead design role.
- Previous experience with Automated Capital Equipment Design is a MUST, experience with Bio- Medical equipment/instrumentation is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in conceptualizing, architecting, designing, testing and implementing complex multi-functional electro-mechanical, pneumatic and fluid measurement/ dispensing systems /subsystems.
- Demonstrated design and implementation experience utilizing a wide range of mechanical fabrication techniques and process, including Metal/Plastic Molding, Laser Cutting, Welding, 3D Printing, Material Forming, Machining and Casting for variety of materials. Strong Hands-On knowledge of 3D CAD software and engineering analysis software.
- Working knowledge of robotics/automated systems, motion control/stepper servo systems, machine vision systems, Laboratory/Medical/Bio-Medical equipment/instrumentation and applicable standards is highly desirable.
- Interactions with biological/scientific community within previous design activity is a plus.
- Experience in tolerance analysis of assemblies and detailed parts
- Broad multi-disciplinary engineering knowledge in new product development/introduction, cost reduction, Product Life Cycle analysis, testing, and quality improvements with emphasis on mechanical, pneumatic and fluid control systems and problem-solving techniques related to automated equipment.
- Extensive mechanical engineering design experience with working knowledge of Finite Element Analysis (FEA), Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), design for Six Sigma, DFM, DFT, and DFR. Knowledgeable in safety regulation, such as CE, NEC, NFPA and OSHA requirements and application to machine safety.
- Broad engineering knowledge in manufacturing operations, including new product introduction, cost reduction, and quality improvements. Demonstrated problem solving experience is required.
- Experience with Engineering Change Management processes desired.
- Experience retrieving, interpreting and communicating field data is a plus.
- Ability to concurrently handle multiple project assignments.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills required.
- Capable to influence senior leaders in the organization; ability to present ideas with impact and make compelling presentations
- Forward thinking individual able to focus on tasks at hand
- Team player, who can challenge the team to think out of the box.
- Creative problem solver with ability to execute ideas and stay focused on the end goal.
- Flexible and Adaptive; able to explore many ideas simultaneously.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage time effectively.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite including Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance/ADD
- 401K plan (no employer match at this time)
Only those authorized to work in the United States and live in the Raleigh-Durham area are encouraged to apply. We cannot sponsor Visa’s or provide relocation at this time.
Working Conditions: Office, Lab, MFG floor, 2-4 trips per quarter to visit suppliers, attend meetings, customer sites (hatcheries)
Disclaimer: May perform other duties as assigned.