Electrical Engineer (Automation Controls)
Electrical Engineer – Automation Controls
Applied LifeSciences & Systems
About Applied LifeSciences & Systems:
We are a Start-Up bio-systems company focused on improving animal health and productivity in the poultry, livestock and aquaculture industries. View our Company Page to learn more about us! This position is located in Raleigh, NC – relocation is not offered for applicants located elsewhere.
Summary of Electrical Engineer Role & Opportunity:
This Engineer holds a key position in the design and advancement of New Product Development (NPD) initiatives for bio-devices for the global poultry industry. This vacancy is to be filled with a highly creative, seasoned, Hands-On Engineer, who will lead/participate in NPD programs for new applied bio-mechanical technology and devices from conceptualization to development and commercialization, including, idea generation, research, evaluation, product design, feasibility analysis, value assessment, product introduction, field application and commercialization. This position leads development initiatives internally through a matrix organization in addition to managing external consulting and design firms, to accelerate NPD initiatives.
Electrical Engineer Knowledge and Responsibilities:
- Participate in initial equipment conceptual development and carefully balance product specifications, process requirements, layout complexity, cost, and lead-time limits.
- Lay out new industrial electrical control panels, create electrical, pneumatic and fluidics schematics.
- Architect, write, and debug PLCs with an emphasis on generating code that is organized, structured, documented, maintainable and reusable. PLC code will interact with subsystems such as conveyors, robots, machine vision systems, pneumatic and fluidics and 3rd party equipment.
- Generate aesthetically pleasing yet simple HMI screens for complex machinery while providing sufficient feedback for troubleshooting.
- Manage electrical cabinet builds, field wiring, pneumatic and fluidics plumbing.
- Select and size electrical and electromechanical components such as servos.
- Introduce automated processes into production, and train and equip Sustaining Team to support automated equipment after deployment into the field
- Participate in specification creation, release to Vendor and quote technical evaluation
- Manage suppliers during specification, design, buyoff and installation of automated equipment
- Establish test plans and control test plan execution
- Characterize and validate new automated equipment and fixturing for deployment into the field
- Create detailed utility layouts for entire automated equipment and interface with facilities teams for implementation
- Create data management and tracking communications network architecture and interface with cross-functional teams for product, processes and quality traceability control implementation
- Implement control reliable safety systems per relevant standards such as ISO 13849, ANSI 12100, RIA15.06, etc. for safeguarding robots, gantries, conveyors, and other high-volume material handling equipment.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Proficiency with process integration and electromechanical / mechatronic systems
- In depth knowledge of Electrical Standards (NFPA79, IEC 60204-1, NFPA 70 (NEC), UL508A).
- In depth knowledge of Safety standards (e.g., ISO13849, ANSI 12100, RIA15.06, OSHA).
- Proficiency creating detailed electrical and fluid schematics in CAD (AutoCAD Electrical preferred)
- Advanced proficiency programming industrial equipment:
- Ladder logic PLCs (Allen Bradley RSLogix 5000, Omron CX Programmer, Siemens S7/TIA Portal)
- Human Machine Interface (HMI / GUI)
- Field bus Networks (AB DeviceNet, Ethernet IP, Profinet, Safety rated field bus networks)
- Serial communication (RS-232) between PLCs and instruments
- Ethernet communications between machine PLCs and database systems
- Demonstrated excellence in programming PLCs. Must have a well-defined methodology for maintaining code structure and organization. Ability to program state machines for complex processes which involve multi-station parallel processing, pick and place automation, data acquisition, and PID control.
- Proven ability to design fault-tolerant systems with error handling and recovery.
- Proficiency selecting appropriate circuit protectors, wire and cable, sensors, safety hardware, PLC hardware, remote I/O, VFD and servo systems.
- Proficiency programming and fine-tuning variable frequency drives and servo drives.
- Exposure to a wide variety of production machinery, industrial sensors, and equipment (LVDT and pressure transducers, dispense systems, temperature controllers, DC nutrunner torque controllers, current and power meters, etc.)
- Experience programming Cartesian, SCARA and Articulated robots is highly desired (Fanuc, Kuka, Motoman, Epson)
- Experience with Vision systems (Cognex, Keyence, Fanuc, …)
- Experience creating technical specifications for automated manufacturing equipment is desired
- Experience transitioning products and processes from prototype to production desired
- Knowledge of production quality metrics and statistics is a plus
- Proficiency with 3D CAD packages such as with SolidWorks is a plus
- BS/MS Electrical Engineering (or equivalent – Majors in: Controls and Computer Control Systems, Mechatronic Engineering, Automation Engineering, etc.)
- 10+ years of experience as a hands-on Controls Engineer or Applications Engineer working on automation and/or electromechanical systems
- Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance/ADD
- 401K plan (no employer match at this time)
Only those authorized to work in the United States and live in the Raleigh-Durham area are encouraged to apply. We cannot sponsor Visa’s or provide relocation at this time.