Engineer II – Design Drafting Support Engineer
Applied LifeSciences & Systems is a Start-Up bio-systems company focused on improving animal health and productivity in the poultry, livestock and aquaculture industries. The ALS-S system merges advance imaging systems, computer learning, microfluidics and automation to provide high-throughput system solutions to aforementioned industries.
Engineer II holds a supporting position in the design and advancement of New Product Development (NPD) initiatives for bio-devices for the global poultry industry. This vacancy is to be filled with a highly creative, Hands-On Engineer, who will participate and supports in NPD programs for new applied bio-mechanical technology and devices from conceptualization to development and commercialization, including, idea generation, research, evaluation, product design detailing, feasibility analysis, value assessment, product introduction, field application and commercialization. This position supports development initiatives internally through a matrix organization in addition to providing support to external consulting and design firms, to accelerate NPD initiatives. The primary objective is to create sound mechanical drawings and design with emphasis on maintaining costs and providing other team member with the required solution for their specific application. The secondary objective is to provide technician support in assembly and participation in tests of prototypes.
- Provide 2D ANSI standard engineering drawings for suppliers, vendors or company reports from supplied 3D models
- Function as “Checker” for peer generated drawings, manuals and reports
- Support of design, detailing and prototyping of conveyor systems and associated material handling equipment.
- Aid in the evaluation of suppliers with respect to components required for the local manufacture of conveyor systems on the basis of quality, price and delivery capabilities.
- Create Bill of Materials and Documentation Packages.
- Process engineering Jobs through the design process within a specific time-scale by utilizing standard and previous system designs.
- Provide support to production, purchasing and other functions within the company as appropriate.
- Communicate with suppliers and provide the requested information to these suppliers when required.
- Take part in functional engineering action plans as agreed from time to time, and report on the results of these plans when requested.
- Participate in product development teams as appropriate.
- Communicate effectively with counterparts to ensure compatibility of designs and engineering standards and product information, as required.
- Responsible for working with the company’s Sales team to specify and design special purpose conveyors and material handling systems as required.
- Maintain and update appropriate databases related to equipment designs and technical machine design specifications and details.
- Contribute to the formulation and development of action plans and key performance indicators for the Engineering department as requested by Management.
- Provide support for service, production and other functions as appropriate.
- Provide assistance as needed in prototype assembly and test.
- Operate with a sense of flexibility and available to assist in other areas of the business based on various business requirements.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Engineering/ Engineering Technology Degree (Associate or Bachelor)
- Computer proficiency – Windows OS, Microsoft Office is required
- Familiarity with Solid modeling, experience with Siemens Solid Edge Software is a major benefit
- Must be knowledgeable with ANSI drafting standards
- Must provide examples of electromechanical hobby projects such as RC cars, planes, helis, gaming PC, Adruino, HiFi, 3D printing, carpentry or similar activities.
- Fundamental knowledge of mechanical, hydraulics, pneumatic and electrical systems is desired.
- Previous experience designing conveyors and material-handling equipment for the Pharmaceutical, Food, Material Recycling and Packaging industry is preferred.
- Previous product development or Laboratory work experience desired
- Must be familiar with shop prepossesses milling, turning, sheet metal, welding, water and laser cutting and assembly techniques.
- Must be able to work independently and plan own work
- Knowledge of modern manufacturing methods (Kanban, JIT, VMI) and material control systems
- Must be proficient in English language to write, read and evaluate technical Reports, data sheets, and operation manuals
Working Conditions: Office, Lab, MFG floor, 2-4 trips per quarter to visit suppliers, attend scientific, commercial and business meetings, customer sites.
Disclaimer: May perform other duties as assigned.
Those authorized to work in the United States are encouraged to apply by emailing a copy of their resume to HR@als-s.com. ALS-S does not sponsor Visa’s at this time.