Research Scientist – Part-Time, Contract
Applied LifeSciences & Systems is a start-up bio-systems company focused on improving animal health and productivity in the poultry, livestock and aquaculture industries. The system that ALS-S is developing, merges advance imaging systems, computer learning, microfluidics and automation to provide high-throughput system solutions to the agricultural industry.
The Research Scientist will be a part time contract position (20-30 hours per week). This individual will hold a key position in supporting design and testing of New Product Development (NPD) initiatives for bio-devices for the global poultry industry. This vacancy is to be filled with an individual with attention to detail, scientific accuracy, and research and development experience. This position currently reports to the Director, Bio-Process and leads testing initiatives internally.
- Extended periods of time conducting lab based experiments, cell counts, spreadsheet input, data analysis, and report generation.
- Responsible for the direct testing and observation of subsystem and complete prototype performance and providing input on further development of the technology with the goal of delivering biologicals to animals via spray methods.
- Provide timely, in-depth and hands on technical expertise to aggressively progress the company’s portfolio.
- Participate and contribute to experimental design, conduct and experimental result evaluation.
- Write study plans, protocols, and related procedures for product development & transfer; and communicate with vendors for the project needs on equipment and supplies.
- Be able to effectively communicate with cross functional R&D team.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelors or Masters in Science, Animal Science or related discipline, 1-3 years of experience.
- Basic microbiology skills including proficiently in pipetting, dilutions, and prolonged microscope work.
- Experience working with biological samples, infectious agents, and animals in research environment.
- Experience following SOPs and documentation of data.
- Experience in parasitology a plus.
- Develop, execute, and trouble-shoot study designs and experimental outcomes.
- Demonstrated proficiency in design of experiments and ability to analyze data statistically.
- A strong team-player with an instinct for developing productive collaborations with colleagues from other supporting groups.
- Able to provide an unbiased critique of experimental data.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Positive attitude and “can-do” mentality.
Those authorized to work in the United States are encouraged to apply by emailing a copy of their resume to HR@als-s.com. Sorry, but we cannot sponsor Visa’s at this time.