Senior Automation Engineering Technician
Applied LifeSciences & Systems is a start-up bio-systems company focused on improving animal health and productivity in the poultry, livestock and aquaculture industries. The ALS-S system merges advance imaging systems, machine learning, fluidics and automation to provide high-throughput system solutions to the aforementioned industries.
The position of Senior Automation Engineering Technician will provide knowledge and support across New Product Development (NPD) initiatives for bio-devices including prototype development, test and validation, design for manufacturing and potential impact of design decisions to the hatchery or the product (eggs and chicks). The position will design and oversee tests and test fixtures to determine product specifications, develop device test protocols, troubleshoot software, controls and electro-mechanical related problems, provide design feedback, and prepare devices and sub-systems for value assessment, product introduction, field application and commercialization. This position supports NPD initiatives through a matrix organization in addition to managing external resources and suppliers to accelerate NPD initiatives.
- Design, build & support electrical control panels and subsystems to relevant standards such as NFPA 79 and UL 508A.
- Design & build specialized tests to determine product specifications for bio-mechanical and fluid processes in the lab and field environments. Design & build tests to assess design and function of prototypes and sub-systems.
- Design, program & support PLC systems utilizing analog and digital I/O and industrial networking protocols.
- Design, program & support human-machine interface (HMI) systems that are aesthetically pleasing and simple to understand.
- Develop detailed project timelines, budgetary estimates and coordinate support resources as required to support testing of NPD designs, prototypes and technologies.
- Support senior management with leadership activities including daily work activities, time reporting and recruiting as required.
- Participate in problem solving and troubleshooting mechanical, electrical and fluidic aspects of prototypes and sub-systems.
- Integrate new technology, techniques, and concepts to enhance functionality, simplify designs, improve reliability, and reduce production costs.
- Work with Manufacturing, Engineering and Contract Manufacturers to plan and execute Design for Manufacturability and Design for Testability activities while maintaining biological integrity.
- Work with project team members to identify and mitigate development risks and produce development plans.
- Participate in product risk analysis activities.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- A.A.S. in an engineering discipline plus 10 years of experience or BS degree in an engineering discipline plus 5 years of experience. Previous experience with Automated Bio-Medical equipment/instrumentation is preferred.
- Knowledge of Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) including interpreting logic diagrams and wiring of input/output analog and digital signals. PLC programming capability is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated experience in the construction of electrical control panels based on electrical drawings, specifications and relevant standards.
- Demonstrated ability to generate CAD electrical control diagrams from functional specifications.
- Demonstrated experience in assembly and test of electro-mechanical, pneumatic and fluid measurement/ dispensing systems /subsystems.
- Knowledge of mechanical fabrication techniques and processes including Metal/Plastic Molding, Welding, and Machining for a variety of materials is desirable.
- Demonstrated experience in design validation and process validation.
- Demonstrated problem solving experience is required.
- Hands-On knowledge of 2D CAD software. 3D CAD is desirable.
- Working knowledge of robotics, automated systems, motion control, stepper / servo systems, machine vision systems, instrumentation and Laboratory/Medical/Bio-Medical equipment.
- Broad engineering knowledge in manufacturing operations including new product introduction, cost reduction, and quality improvements. Experience in automated device industry is required.
- Experience with Engineering Change Management processes desired.
- Experience retrieving, interpreting and communicating field data is a plus.
- Ability to concurrently handle multiple project assignments.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills are required.
- Team player, who can help the team to think out of the box.
- Flexible and Adaptive; able to explore many ideas simultaneously.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage time effectively.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite including Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
Working Conditions: Office, Lab, MFG floor, 2-4 trips per quarter to visit suppliers, attend meetings, customer sites (hatcheries)
The general hours shall be Monday – Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm, with an hour break for lunch. Occasionally half day Saturday or Sunday
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The employee is occasionally to frequently required to sit. The employee is occasionally to frequently required to stand and/or walk. The employee must occasionally lift, carry, push or pull up to 110 pounds.
Disclaimer: May perform other duties as assigned.
Those authorized to work in the United States are encouraged to apply by emailing a copy of their resume to HR@als-s.com. Sorry, but we cannot sponsor Visa’s at this time.