Sr Engineering Project Manager
Applied LifeSciences & Systems is a Start-Up bio-systems company focused on improving animal health and productivity in the poultry, livestock and aquaculture industries. The ALS-S system merges advance imaging systems, computer learning, microfluidics and automation to provide high-throughput system solutions to aforementioned industries.
The Sr Engineering Project Manager holds a key position in the design and advancement of New Product Development (NPD) initiatives for bio-devices for the global poultry industry. This vacancy is to be filled with a highly creative, seasoned, Hands-On Engineer with strong background in overall Project Management Disciplines. This position will enable product development teams to successfully meet company objectives including understanding and meeting design requirements, schedule and cost targets. This person will accomplish these goals by providing the team with clear, organized leadership. The role will require engineering skills and knowledge to facilitate quick and logical project design decisions and work prioritization utilizing strong teaming and communication skills. The role will have a thorough understanding of engineering, manufacturing, biological testing and the role that the scientific support organization plays in bio-device development. This position reports to the executive leadership team and leads development initiative projects through an internal matrix organization in addition to managing external consulting and design firms.
- Leads the management of engineering projects through technical and organizational facilitation of team efforts in solving complex technical problems by applying a broad multi-disciplinary knowledge.
- Provide engineering project management leadership for multiple new product development and /or technology development projects, from design concepts to full manufacturing introduction.
- Responsible for facilitating appropriate analysis of design and development of mechanical and electrical subsystems, while understanding the underlying biological process needs.
- Responsibilities include but are not limited to understanding and facilitating development of: sub-system architecture, system requirements documents, concept design, modeling/simulation, proposal and cost preparation, detailed mechanical and/or electrical engineering designs, component/sub-system specification and sourcing, System Integration, validation and verification as well as hatchery integration into hatchery systems.
- Develop recommended required resources, timelines and milestones for all aspects of product development.
- Responsible for the implementation of plans for new product launches in conjunction with Sales, Marketing, Quality Control, Manufacturing and Purchasing.
- Coordinate problem solving and technical support, including design updates of equipment, process development and related documentation.
- Interface with the Bio-Integration Team for device testing in terms of animal requirements, testing location and proper training/handling of animals.
- Integrate new technology, techniques, and concepts to enhance functionality, simplify designs, improve reliability, and reduce production costs.
- Manage/support internal/external contract design resources as required.
- Work with Manufacturing Engineering and contract manufacturers to plan and execute Design for Manufacturability and Design for Testability activities
- Support product risk analysis activities.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- BSME/BSEE (MSME or MSEE, Preferred) with a minimum of 15 years of hands-on design and/or research engineering experience, including 5+ years of project management and team lead roles. Preference is for new product development experience directing engineering teams and/or projects including experience with hardware, software and controls.
- Broad engineering knowledge in new product development/introduction, cost reduction, Product Life Cycle analysis, testing and quality improvements.
- Demonstrated multi-disciplinary engineering design experience in mechanical, electrical, pneumatic systems and problem-solving techniques related to automated equipment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of mechanical fabrication techniques and process, including metal/plastic molding, welding, laser cutting, material forming, 3D printing, machining and casting for variety of materials.
- Demonstrated experience leading project teams.
- Electro-Mechanical engineering design experience with working knowledge of Finite Element Analysis (FEA), Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), design for Six Sigma, DFM, DFT, and DFR. Knowledgeable in safety compliance regulations, i.e., CE, IEC and their application to machine safety.
- Experience with Engineering Change Management processes.
- Ability to concurrently handle multiple project assignments.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills required
- Must be able to influence senior leaders in the organization; ability to present ideas with impact and make compelling presentations
- Forward thinking individual able to focus on tasks at hand
- Team player who can challenge the team to think out of the box
- Creative problem solver with ability to execute ideas and stay focused on the end goal.
- Flexible and adaptive; able to explore many ideas simultaneously
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage time effectively
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite including Excel, Word, Project and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of how vision systems used in automation systems is a plus
- Experience creating technical specifications for automated manufacturing equipment is desired
- Experience transitioning products and processes from prototype to production desired
- Knowledge of production quality metrics and statistics is a plus
- Proficiency with 3D CAD packages such as with SolidWorks or Solid Edge is a plus
- Experience with additive or subtractive manufacturing methods and systems
Working Conditions: Mostly office and Engineering Laboratory environment, requires 4+ trips per quarter to visit vendors, attend meetings, customer sites.
Disclaimer: May perform other duties as assigned.
Those authorized to work in the United States are encouraged to apply by emailing a copy of their resume to HR@als-s.com. Sorry, but we cannot sponsor Visa’s at this time.